The big question: when do flights in Argentina resume? Yes, they are finally back! In this article, I will give you an update about the status, rumors, and special authorized flights. Click here and subscribe to our newsletter and be the first updated.
For many people, flying is a basic transport to get somewhere. For work or family. Therefore, it’s important to have clear information about the actual status of flights in Argentina. Because the government made a mess of their communication about the restart of flights in Argentina.
What does the law say?
There are two facts: number 1 is de decree that prohibits the entry of foreigners to Argentina. All borders (land, sea, and air) are closed. Only Argentinian citizens and residents can enter Argentina. This still applies!
Number 2 is a decree that prohibits the sale of flight tickets from and to Argentina. Also, the airspace remains closed for regular commercial air traffic. Airlines can request individual authorization, but the decision is made by the Argentinian aviation authorities.
As of October 15th, airlines are back allowed to fly on a regular basis. However, only essential travelers can take those flights. More info below.
What are the flights now to Argentina?
Every passenger flight that lands or takes off in Argentina is individually authorized by the aviation authorities ) also known as “vuelos especiales”. The airline needs to apply for a permit for each flight in Argentina. When approved they open the sales on their website or call center.
Airlines are back allowed to fly on a regular basis but the government will ask the airlines to file a request for each flight. Just to have a little bit more control over the incoming traffic.
When will the regular flights resume in Argentina?
That’s was for long a big question. The Argentinian government are masters in miscommunication or not communicating at all. On top of that, enough quotes of politicians in newspapers but you need to have a legal and officially published announcement.
But finally, there was light. As of October 15th, 2020 airlines are allowed to fly back to Argentina on a regular basis. This is for domestic and international routes.
However, only essential travelers are allowed to board the plane for domestic travel. More below in the article.
Passenger locator form
Don’t forget to complete the passenger locator form when you will enter or leave Argentina. We explained everything in the article: current COVID-19 measures in Argentina. Everybody that travels from outside Argentina needs to go into 14 days of self-isolation. This rule still is in power.
What is ok for an essential domestic flight?
Only essential travelers can board the plane now. It’s unclear if this applies only on domestic flights or also international. More news later.
Following trips are essential:
- You are a health or government worker
- You work in a service that is considered essential, in a communication medium or you provide teaching or non-teaching staff in an educational institution authorized to resume activities
- You are a commercial, banking, financial services provider, health insurance or credit union, liberal professional (accountant, attorney), psychologist, factory worker, authorized sports or private residence
- You work in infrastructure maintenance, transport of people and goods, telecommunications, public, private or energy works
You accompany minors, the elderly, or the disabled
- For emergencies, unforeseen situations, or calamities; to attend medical appointments, perform procedures that cannot be postponed or rescheduled (24 hours)
- To assist family members, the elderly or people with disabilities; for divorced parents who have to transfer their sons or daughters (24 hours)
- For long-term medical treatment
- For the recreational practice of an authorized individual sport, training of an athlete or a national representation of an authorized federation or attending an authorized event
It’s mandatory to complete the “circular” form: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/circular/
When are the special flights in November?
Several airlines are resuming their activities with a regular flights schedule. The government did approve the regular flights.
American Airlines flies daily from Miami to Buenos Aires.
- Buenos Aires – Miami: four times per week
- Buenos Aires – Madrid: two times per week
- Buenos Aires – Sao Paulo: four times per week
United flies three times per week to Houston.
Lufthansa is flying three times per week to Frankfurt
Information is pending.
Air Europa will fly one time per week to Madrid.
A connection between Amsterdam – Buenos Aires will take place three times per week.
Air France flies three times per week to Paris.
Back again to Buenos Aires is Turkish Airlines. They are flying three times per week with a stop-over in Sao Paulo.
Did you like reading? Support me by “buying a coffee“. It means a lot.